top of page



What should I do if my child knocks out a permanent tooth? 
Find the tooth and gently rinse it with cool water (Do not attempt to scrub or clean it). Without touching the root, try to reinsert it in the socket. If this is not possible, put the tooth in a glass of milk and take your child and the glass immediately toDr. Melissa Burruezo. The sooner you act the better chance you have of saving the tooth.


What if a tooth is chipped?
Immediately contact Dr. Melissa Burruezo. Apply a cold compress to reduce swelling and rinse the mouth with cool water. Quick action can help reduce the chance of infection and further dental trauma.


What do I do if my child suffers a severe blow to the head or a jaw injury?
Immediately go to the emergency room of your local hospital. A blow to the head can be life threatening.


What can I do for my child's toothache?
Call Dr. Melissa Burruezo and visit the office promptly. Rinse the mouth with water and apply a cold compress to reduce swelling and ease the discomfort. Do not put heat or aspirin on the sore area.


What if my child's permanent tooth is pushed out of place?
If your child's permanent tooth is pushed out of place (inward or outward,) it should be repositioned to its normal alignment with very light finger pressure. Do not force the tooth into the socket. Hold the tooth in place with a moist tissue or gauze. Contact Dr. Melissa Burruezo immediately or go to the directly to the emergency room.


What should I do when mouth tissue is bruised or bleeding?
For a cut or bitten tongue, lip or cheek, apply ice to bruised areas. If there is bleeding, apply firm but gentle pressure with clean gauze or cloth. If bleeding does not stop after 15 minutes or it cannot be controlled by simple pressure, take the child to a hospital emergency room.


What if bleeding continues after a baby tooth falls out?
Fold and pack a clean gauze pad or cloth over the bleeding area. Have the child bite on the gauze or a wet tea bag with pressure for 15 minutes. If bleeding persists, see Dr. Melissa Burruezo.


What if there is an object caught between my child's teeth?
Carefully guide dental floss between the teeth and rinse vigorously with warm water. Do not attempt to remove the object with sharp or pointed instruments. If this doesn't work, call Dr. Melissa Burruezo.


What if there is swelling in my child's mouth?
If any part of your child’s mouth, jaw, lips or face starts swelling due to a dental problem you should seek help as soon as possible. Swelling can often be caused by infection. If the swelling is severe enough to cause eye swelling, if your child has trouble swallowing, or starts to run a fever, call Dr. Melissa Burruezo immediately, or go directly to a hospital emergency room.


What if my child's braces or retainer cause pain, break or have loose wires?
If wires are irritating your child's mouth, cover the ends of the wires with a small cotton ball, beeswax or a piece of gauze until you can see Dr. Melissa Burruezo or orthodontist. Do not attempt to remove a wire that is stuck in soft tissue, go to your Dr. Melissa Burruezo. If an appliance becomes loose or a piece breaks off, take the appliance and/or the broken piece with you.


What can I do about my child's cold or canker sores?
Children occasionally suffer from "cold sores" or "canker sores". Usually over-the-counter preparations give relief. It is important to have a dental evaluation by Dr. Melissa Burruezo if these sores persist.

bottom of page